
On Saturday I had the opportunity to go to Time Out for Women (with my grandmother, mother, and friends Kris and Shannon). This is a day Deseret Book has put together for women to gather together to listen to speakers and be inspired to be better women, wives and mothers. I have been to this event now three times and every time I leave with a strong desire to change something in life to help me better. One thing that really impressed me that was said, was by Dean Hughes. He said that all to often we measure ourselves by the worlds standards as to what we should be and what we should do with our lives. But if we are true followers of Christ we would only focus on measuring ourselves on the Lord's standards. We need to be concerned on what He thinks than what the people around us think. He also said that the Lord is going to measure us on the Beatitudes. Then I went to church today and a sister in our ward gave a talk about the Beatitudes. It is so true, the beatitudes are the formula of how we should measure ourselves and how we should live. Look them up and read over them again and constantly think about those things that the Lord said about how we should live.
Also for fun I had to get my friends to get their picture taken with Kenneth Cope. I had never heard much of anything he had done until this day. For Easter this year our ward choir sang

Alleluia, that he had written. However my friends Kris and Shannon knew his music very well and own several of his CDs. So before the event started Kenneth Cope was walking around greeting people and getting his picture taken with them. I kept teasing my friends that they needed to get their picture with him, but they wouldn't. So when he walked down our row and said hi to them I found the moment to be a golden opportunity. However they made me stand in it too. He sang a couple of times and by the end I was converted to Kenneth Cope and bought a CD before leaving. (Which I later had him autograph!:))
I really love getting the chance to be rejuvened and up lifted by these speakers. I had a wonderful day.
4 comments:
I was listening to a Kenneth Cope song as I was reading your blog....creepy! I could use a Time Out. I always have something I need to learn. Fun to see Jeanne and Grandma.
I'm so glad you had a good time. I think its true that we base our value upon the world's standards--its hard to tune those messages out.
I went to TOFW in Oregon this May and really enjoyed it. I was going to go again here in Denver but I guess my plans changed pretty quickly. :)
BTW, I LOVE your new blog layout. Looks very chic. :)
Are you a Kenneth Cope groupie now?? Grandma said she didn't like the music, although mom said she slept through the whole thing, so who knows. I'll have to borrow the CD, well maybe, we'll see. Anyway, I am glad you had a good time, hope you missed me!! :0) I could have used this this year with all of my issues, and I have many... Love ya sis. You are such a good example to me.
Post a Comment