5.03.2012

PERU- finally

OK I know I have not been very good about writing on this blog- I do keep a journal, so I have some record of what's going on in our lives. However I wanted to share a few things from my trip to Peru. On March 9th, I with three of my favorite people boarded a plane to head to Peru for nine days.



 Jamey was such a good sport and took the time off to stay home with our kiddos. He got a small taste of what I go through- he decided that I could have it back. :) We did a lot of sight seeing, as well as spending three days in three different villages doing humanitarian work for those people. I actually got the chance to do some haircuts in the first village!

                                    

                                    

                                    

I also had the amazing opportunity to hike Huayna Picchu. That was probably one of the hardest hikes I have ever done, but the end and view made the trek completely worth every step I took. Looking down over Machu Picchu, feeling like I was as close to the sky as I could get, is defiantly a memory I will have forever. (Plus the pure joy of conquering that mountain!)

The land is absolutely gorgeous. I learned a lot from this experience. I felt like I had a few spiritual moments in the mist of everyday happenings. I came home with a greater appreciation for several things, such as; stop signs and street lights, people obeying traffic laws, using the bathroom at any location without having to pay, being able to flush toilet paper, ease of using a credit card at the grocery store, and then of course all the everyday luxuries that we each enjoy. I also came home with a great appreciate for my husband. He is truly my best friend- the person I can go to for anything. It was hard several times to not have him to talk to about the good and bad of the day. I know he puts up with a lot with me, but I am grateful that he loves me unconditionally. As I look back on my time in Peru, I learned many lessons and had some really great experiences. I know that it was a growth that I needed. I am grateful for the chance I had to go.

I took over 820 pictures- so here is just a small sampling of my favorites.
Lima- I loved the bright colors of the buildings and the trees. The white building is Peru's capital building.
It was a warm day and we all got a little sunburned.

In Cusco, Peru at Saqsaywaman


Our hike to the Christus statue. 

I just loved the clothing of the people. Oh and the babies!!!!

We helped the kids make some bracelets


Look at that dirty little boy. He was so darn cute. He was shy- wouldn't really come out, so when I grabbed this picture I was excited!!

I loved the landscape!!!

In a cui (guinea pig) farm

Making a rocket stove

My awesome friends- they made the week so fun!

One of my favorite pictures!

 Giving the school teacher our children's pictures that their classes made for the kids in Peru.


Pisac

Hiking  Huayna Picchu with Mel and Shannon

AMAZING!

We did it!!

I DID IT!!

7 comments:

Kris said...

Love it! I'm so glad you came darlin. :)

KrisJ said...

LOVE all the photos! What a great time to spend with friends!!!

Jen said...

Great photos, I loved reading about your trip. Way to hike the mountain!

amanda said...

What a great experience!! So glad you had the chance to go. And way to go on the hike!! I don't think I could do that if I tried. It's a little flat over here:)

Melissa said...

I loved reading this and seeing your pics. What a truly amazing experience through and through. Really enjoyed your comments and thoughts. So glad you were able to go, and then share the memories with the rest of us!

Karen said...

Incredible, Erica!

The Haley Family said...

amazing trip. SO wish I could have gone.