6.03.2009

Disclaimer- I'm not a happy mom!!

I have never done this, but I didn't have anywhere else to just rant about my afternoon. I usually leave this up to my friend Kris, :-) she is way better at writing about people's ill behavior than me.

I went to get my oil changed today, which I have been putting off for way to long. Who wants to go sit somewhere for 30 minutes or longer with 3 boys?! Anyway while I am there waiting some lady comes in with her very hairy, shedding dog. The boys had fun petting him, but the lady had no concern for other people at all. She let the dog get up the chair next me and then he started licking my arm. I am one who does not like dogs that lick. The dog was on a leash, but I don't really know why. It had free range of the place. But the real kicker for me was when the dog came over to my sleeping Everett and stuck it's head in the car seat. He tried to lick Everett until I pushed his head away. The lady only looked at me and said, he knows babies and puppies he is very soft. Are you kidding me?! I don't dislike dogs, but I think people who like to take their dogs with them should have a bit more curiosity for others!

Then we went to the grocery store. Spencer was sitting in the cart and Jamison was laying under the cart. I had some old man come up to me and tell me that Jamison shouldn't be there. I said I think he is fine and tried to walk away. But the man proceeded to follow me a bit and kept telling me that I needed him to move and all the reasons why he needed to move. I finally just looked at him and said that is where he is and he is fine. He left, but not without giving me a very dirty look. I guess I just don't understand what gives people the right to tell you what to do with your children. If Jamison had gotten hurt, then that would be my fault and I would have to deal with it- but really just keep it to yourself!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I have totally had those days! Sometimes I just smile and act like it doesn't bother me, but once and awhile, watch out! I will speak up for myself and my kids and tell others to back off. It all depends what kind of mood I am in. :) I say good for you for doing what you did! I personally hate dogs like that too and the only rules I read at the front of the store is "no shoes, no shirt, no service" So if Jamison was fully dressed, than that is all that matters. There is my 2 cents worth.

amanda said...

I am surprised that you didn't say more to the dog lover or the nosy shopper. Even I would have said something:) I remember laying under the cart as a kid and just the other day the thought popped into my head that I needed to teach Tobe or Jane to sit under there instead of grabbing everything off the shelf.

And the dog?.........YUCK!!! I hate when people take their dogs to public places like that. I'd leave my children at home if I could, let alone my dog. That is disgusting. I just don't love dogs like some people and especially if it is licking me and my baby.

You kept your cool. I am very proud:)

Kristin said...

Amen!

Some days it just doesn't pay to leave the house at all, does it?

alison said...

Sorry your day was so crappy!! I have chocolate here in the house if you need a rush delivery!

Melissa said...

Amen on both the dog and the cart fronts. Some people really have got a lot of nerve. Sorry for the rotten day! Hope your evening is much more peaceful.

Tirsa said...

Did the old man work at the grocery store or was he just taking it upon himself to be nosy?

Also, when I was doing adoption work, all of my clients had dogs and they would let them jump all over me and lick me and I hated it. Seriously, not everyone wants a random dog to lick them and dog owners should be a little more respectful.

Kris said...

Hey, that was good ranting and I couldn't have done any better.

First of all, I totally would have layed into the lady and the dog and I have a dog that is a slobbery mess but getting up in the car seat? WHAT??

As far as the second guy, I would have faked that I didn't speak English and just started talking in jibberish and then given him the "Friends" two-handed BAH-BAM!

Marie said...

Oh my gosh!! And you know what gets me?!?!? Is that all these lovely people who try to tell you how to take care of your kids probably never had kids and have no idea what it's like!!!

Elizabeth said...

I too hate dogs that lick..and we even have one!! I can't believe that lady didn't keep her dog on a tighter leash! EEW!! Glad you spoke up to that man at the store too! Some people!!!

Brandie Lyon said...

Seriously? I hate the dog licking thing. Why do dog lovers assume that everyone is? My kids ride at the bottom of the cart all the time. Whatever keeps them quiet, right? I hate the nosy shoppers!