So I have been debating over the last week whether to post about this or not. Although I feel like it is something to write about. When I was 19, I decided to get a tattoo. It was a decision that I made with full conscience of what I was doing. Other than the numerous holes that I put in my ears as well, this was the extent of my 'rebellious' moves. I was newly out of high school and somewhat living on my own as a adult. I had a good friend that I went to beauty school with that was dating a tattoo artist, so I thought it was would be fun. Well now after almost 9 years I have decided to get it removed. My dad has a laser machine at his office and so I, along with my younger brother are being guinea pigs for the removal. This is going to be quite a process, several times of having it lasered off and then extensive time in between for healing. I started the process last Wednesday. I'm a week into it, and all seems to be going well. It hurt having the laser procedure done and then the first couple days after. The worst of what happened was on Sunday it looked like it was infected and it started to swell. Jamey was wonderful and helped me by playing nurse and getting it taken care of. Now today it is feeling really good and looks the best it has. I have almost no pain (unless someone hits it, or I try to hold Jamison), but for the most part it is going well.
My decision to get it removed came when I was talking to my sister and she told me about the laser machine my dad had. Then I talked with my younger brother (who was in the process of getting his mission papers ready) and we decided to do it together. I guess a little family support. Plus Jamey told me from the very beginning that it was something that he really didn't like. The plan is to have it completely done by this fall when we go on our vacation. If you want to see some pictures of the process click here. I felt like that would be better in case there are people that don't want to see anything. Nothing is graphic, but out of respect I thought that would be best. So welcome to the journey.
April Templatetopia
13 years ago



13 comments:
Good for you! I'm proud. Now if you happen to have a daughter (ha ha) she can't say, "But you have one:)" cause you know she so would.
that is a HUGE decision to make! I'm so glad that you did it though.
Is your dad a dermatologist or something. It's nice that in today's day and age you have the choice to get it removed.
Wow Erica! What a big decision to get it removed! Actually I'm really interested in the whole process... I don't have any tats myself (getting one ear pierced twice was the extent of my rebellion) but I have two sisters with tattoos, and on who I think will want to one day get them removed.
You're so brave!! Not only to get it removed, but to document it on your blog as well!! Good luck!
With that kind of prelude, I was worried you were going to tell me that you had a dozen kids scattered around the U.S. somewhere! I'm proud of you, too. And, just think-- you won't have a stretched out flower on your belly when and if you ever get around to having #3. ;)
Dang girl I had no idea! I think its great that your brave enough to get it removed! I always wanted one on my ankle but Im glad now I decided against it(because I was chicken)
Ouch! Good for you, though!
I would have never guessed. Good for you to have it removed. You are brave. :)
Which was more painful, Having it put on or removed?
When I was 20, I was actually IN the tatoo shop and wussed out, so I understand the rebellion. I'm of course glad now that I didn't do it - especially since it would have been on my hip - stretch marks/tatoo....ewwwww.
By the way - nice flat tummy! Yowza! =)
Hey, I had no idea.
You will have stories to tell the boys anyway. Remind them of the pain...just kidding.
Most of us like to change our clothes and jewlery. That doesn't work with tattoo's. I wouldn't be able to decide what to do anyway.
You are an awesome example for me. Thanks for sharing! RaeMi
Erica- thanks for sharing something so personal and important to you! We've all done things or said things we wish we could take away. But good for you for making the hard (and painful) decision to get it removed!
Scary! So awesome to have access to the removal system in your family!
Post a Comment